Fall is one of my favorite times of year. The weather is crisp and cool, the leaves start to fall, and best of all it’s pumpkin season!
Pumpkin is a hearty squash that boasts many vital nutrients to keep your eyes, heart and immune system healthy, loaded with beta carotene, vitamin C and potassium to name just a few. Get your pumpkin on early with this seasonal favorite of mine, and kids tested and approved!
- 1½ cup whole wheat or white flour
- ¾ cups rolled oats
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 /2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- 1 ¼ cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup milk
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 eggs beaten
- ¼ cup chopped pecans (Optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line two- 12 mini muffin pans or one 12 muffin pan with muffin liners.
- Whisk flour, oats, brown sugar, salt, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg together in a large bowl until thoroughly combined. Stir pumpkin puree, milk, oil, eggs, into the dry ingredients until batter is smooth. Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups, filling them to the top. Sprinkle with chopped pecans.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cook for 5-10 minutes and serve