The Breakfast Habit
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. How many times have you heard that before? But how many of us actually take time to eat breakfast? Research shows that over 60% of people skip breakfast at least 3 times a week or more.
Study after study shows that breakfast is helpful in so many ways.
Here are 2 compelling reasons:
- Improves cognitive function and academic performance
- You’ll be more productive in your morning meetings or classes
- You’ll have better glucose control all day long
- Better weight management. You’ll be…
- Less likely to crave unhealthy snacks later in the day
- More likely to have a better quality diet
According to the national weight loss registry 78% eat breakfast every day.
What should you eat for breakfast? Lets talk specifically protein.
Protein at breakfast can help to suppress hunger hormones later in the day, those Ghrelin (I like to call them the gremlin hormones which that trigger you to eat)
Just 15-20 grams at breakfast should do the trick
Here are my top breakfast ideas that have at least 15 grams of protein and between 300-500 calories for either morning style sit down or running around.
Sit down ideas
- 2 egg omelet loaded with ¾ cup of chopped onions and red peppers sprinkled with a handful of cheese
- Greek yogurt with mixed berries
Walking out the door
- Whole wheat tortilla with a chicken sausage
- Kind bar, small piece of fruit and a hard boiled egg
- When traveling Starbucks is a great answer order up an oatmeal and latte or one of their new breakfast sandwiches.
Now like a said you’ve probably heard it all before. What’s harder is the action!!!
Even here at Google with free onsite cafes’ serving up made to order omelets, freshly baked scones, and steel cut oatmeal many of my clients still can’t find the time. Here’s how to make this change in your diet:
- Plan ahead, have your signature breakfast items on hand
- You may need to reset your alarm for 5-10 minutes earlier
- Make a commitment, write it down or tell somebody your new goal
Tell me what your favorite breakfast foods are?